12.12.2012

Stretching and Seething


Observe, the attention-seeking bark:






Pretty annoying, huh?

Well, Max has also gotten into the habit of reaching up on our legs when we're sitting on the couch and dining room table. What can I tell you, he likes it up there on our laps all warm and cozy. He likes curling up with the latest book (I'm reading). 

Anyway, so it got pretty annoying when he started begging and seeking attention. He gets plenty of it! Once, I closed my eyes on the couch for a quick nap when I was rudely awoken (Max, I'm looking at you!) by a paw scratching on my dangling arm and a loud obnoxious bark. I obviously didn't pick him up because I knew that it was wrong and would just encourage him. It turns out that I did the right thing because it coincided with one of the books entitled "Mini Encyclopedia of Dog Training and Behavior" by Colin Tennant. Tennant tells us to ignore this. (It was printed in bold in the book.)

This is what one should not do (person who won't be named but is my dad):
Exhibit A

Exhibit B


You get the idea, so let's see what else the book says. Tennant also tells us that even nudging your dog is rewarding and doesn't alleviate it.

For now, I am just ignoring Max when he stretches his little legs on me. It's working for me but he is persistently doing it to my dad. Anyone know why? Because Maxie knows that it works when he does it to our dad. He gets picked up and is as happy as pie everytime he does it. Close-up on my face which is seething. There has to be consistency or else Max will never learn. 

Honestly, none of the books I have give me any advice on what to do when someone you know refuses to cooperate in the success of the training. My dad just refuses to listen to anything I tell him about what I've learned. I repeat and repeat and ok you get the picture. But I am a little frustrated. Woof! is all Maxie and I have to say about that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment